Welcome back, buddies! Did we all survive Christmas day? Did you get some sweet loot? I welcome all your most horrific stories of your family’s holiday misbehavior.
Andy and I agreed to buy each other gifts that we could both use, and guess what? We bought each other the exact same thing. A 3D pantograph, which is a nerdy woodworking tool you can use to write letters in wood, or in my case, give to your husband to use to write letters in wood. This is both a sign of our hopeless descent into DIY nerd-dom, and a sign of our everlasting love.
We also got each other a bunch of board games, in case I wasn’t clear about the nerdiness thing.
Anyway. I thought it’d be fun to take a quick look over the past year. The posts you loved the most, the posts I loved writing, the posts that belly-flopped like a hairy fat man in the deep end. Maybe not those.
Most Commented on Posts of 2012
1. My Best Craigslist Shopping Tips: You guys had lots to say about Craig and his List, proving that the secretive “show images” button -and other tricks – have potential to rock your world and/or furniture owning situation. I know, guys. It’s changed my life too.
2. How to Make Any Lamp Cordless: Most of the comments on this post were like “Cool! Can you do this with a lamp that looks like THIS,” or “Awesome, but could I hack this project THIS way?” This project was also featured on Lifehacker, where most of the comments were like “Just plug it in! I don’t get it.” Ha!
3. Making my Dream Backyard a Reality… Kinda: The fact that this post makes this list is one of the reasons why I feel big-fat-puffy-heart love for you all. I get to come here and write some ridiculous post, which I giggled all the way through, and you responded. You got it. For the record, right now our yard looks like a wet, muddy field of misery, punctuated by primary-colored toys which will almost certainly not survive the winter.
Most Visited Posts of 2012
1. How to Make Any Lamp Cordless: This post took on a life of its own. Andy should really have his own blog, instead of forcing me to enjoy the fruits of his genius.
2. My Best Craigslist Shopping Tips: I like to imagine that somewhere, someone found that one furniture piece of their dreams thanks to one of the tips in this post. If I can just help one person find true love, then it was all worthwhile.
3. How to Sew Lined Back-tab Curtain Panels: I think because you guys know that if I can do it, so can you. If the girl who can’t sew a square pillow can make a set of curtain panels, it might actually be possible for the average person, even those whose sewing machine comes straight from the pits of hell, like me.
My Favorite Posts of 2012
1. The Nursery Reveal: I love doing room reveals! Which you would never know judging by how often I do them. Laundry room reveal, coming right up!
2. Our Little Rescue Lamp. I love that point where useless silliness intersects with actual useful tips.
3. Random Acts of Craftiness. It’s completely useless, tip-wise, but I loved writing this one!
Coolest Thing We Did Together
As a community, you all came together in a major, MAJOR way. In this post, I asked you if together, we could raise $1,500 to send to orphans in Africa. We sent more than $2,000 together and I think that’s kind of a huge deal. I’m honored to know you guys.
Most Embarrassing Moments
To see the rest of our projects, check out the new project gallery page here. Thanks for joining the ride this year!
Now: I was serious about wanting to hear your family horror stories. Did your in-laws say something horribly inappropriate? Did someone have too much eggnog and behave atrociously? This is a place to share your stories.